fbpx Windsurf MagazineNew vid, how to repair a windsurfing sail with x-ply | Windsurf Magazine

We use cookies to improve your experience. To find out more or disable the cookies on your browser click here.

AVAILABLE ON

New vid, how to repair a windsurfing sail with x-ply

Home Forums Windsurf Forums General Windsurf Chat New vid, how to repair a windsurfing sail with x-ply

This topic contains 24 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Manuel 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Manuel
    Replies: 25
    Topics: 7

A few steps involving prep work, holding the sail down, pre-taping, etc.
    Also include long-term results after use in the waves.

TOTD
    Replies: 139
    Topics: 4

The execution is really good. Dont know how thick your repair tape is, it could be up to the job. I use a tape with x-Ply for small repairs.

Only my opinion: the video is too long, too much hands and feet.

I think its great you like to help others. Smiley face

ofuts
    Replies: 36
    Topics: 5

Great video Manuel.
    Totd, can you share the name of that x-ply tape please.

TOTD

I reckon your in the UK

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PSP-Kevlar-Repair-Black-75mm-x-1-5m-T1106BK/292122645803?epid=894464384&hash=item4403ddd52b:g:MsIAAOSw8lpZMVxh

THis is similar . The stuff I have has black strands, carbon, this as Kevlar is as or more stronger

ofuts
    Replies: 36
    Topics: 5

Nice, thanks

Manuel

Hello all, thanks for the feedback, feel free to comment on youtube so non-forum-members can see.

For the reinforced tape, it affects visibility, may not contribute to added solidity, it’s more the quality of the glue that’s important so it doesn’t slide. There’s also the budget factor!!! And finally, how easy the product is to work with, conforms, cut and adjust, waterproof, uv-resistance, etc.

I did use a monofilm repair kit before and wasn’t convinced (water would get in, yellowing, etc.).

The manager of ION Club Cabarete really liked the tape, and he’s had to do lots of repair 😀 !

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  Manuel.

bottomturnbob
    Replies: 125
    Topics: 3

I used that exact tape about a week ago. My technique was to cut a small strip of monofilm away to give a circa 2mm gap. This allows the tape to bond together which i figured would make a stronger repair. I havent used it (the sail) yet so will have to report back on how well it works. Have to admit your process put mine to shame – i just gave it a quick wipe and stuck it on. Will try harder next time.

This is the tape. It appears to be spot on in terms of the level of flexability and the strenth of the glue.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gorilla-3044701-07164000719-Gaffer-Builders/dp/B00EUGCT22

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  bottomturnbob.

TOTD

Sounds like a test is in order of several tapes.

A tape repair to me, is an emergency ,a sail not worth fixing with a panel//repair shop.
    Can’t see a small area would reduce visibility.Mono film tape would be clear, and quality ‘could’ be prone to yellowing . X-Ply tape or reinforced will have grid of carbon/Kevlar or something.

This tape is hard to come by. It’s near the best quality of sail material.

bottomturnbob
    Replies: 125
    Topics: 3

That tape does look the dogs but I figure the tape is unlikely to break – its the glue that is all important. The flexibility is key in that if the tape is to soft it will develop play that will pull on the glue. That is where duck tape fails as its to loose and works free. If its too stiff then the movement in the panel will pull on the glue. The Gorilla tape as above seems to be a very similar material to monofilm – it possibly is monofilm and the glue seemed very strong and is supposedly waterproof.

It also looks like the stuff I wrap my mountain bike / road bike in – commonly known as Heli Tape in the biking world. That stuff can be heated when applied to wrap around bike tubes, the heat also helps the glue. There are loads of suppliers of tape for bikes – to what extent it is all the same stuff is unknown. I bought 3M tape for my bike and 3 years on it is well glued on with nothing lifting off. I ride my road bike to work every day so it gets a regular washing in manky road spray / rain water. I don’t think i could get it off if i tried!

TOTD

Test going outside. Tapes:
    1.tyvrk insulation tape.
    2.dacron
    3.Manuels clear gorilla
    4. Scotch storage long lasting
    5. The tape shown in previous photo, grid is the same as the’sail’ material…60P, dense polyester scrim.

Sail is Taped and glued to a batten . Will get water and uv.

The gorilla tape is very sticky and thicker than any .

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  TOTD.

TOTD

Might interest some.

These are the materials used in some of my sails.
    Missing is twaron, costly .

Manuel

I also thought about cutting the “extra” material off the sail, but in the end, given that it returned to its normal position, I’m glad I didn’t.
    Some slack is to be expected though, I mean there’s so much tension on the downhaul as you can imagine. I’ve crashed on the sail too (a few times 😀 !)

To me, visibility is important and durability (don’t want to be repairing the sail many times).
    Bob’s comments are spot on.

TOTD, xply over xply ends up being quite heavy. Old xply alone is already not so clear 😀 ! See Bob’s comments on tape stiffness.

I did research many tapes before trying out Gorilla’s. Looking at reviews, none of the reinforced versions seem to have as good reviews as the Gorilla. The other thing is price. For example, the Tear-Aid is supposed to be really good and yet reviews are just not quite where I expect them to be given the hefty cost!

If visibility isn’t a worry, Dacron Tape is my second choice. Inexpensive as well.

Emergency repair yes and no… if the tape itself can preserve the shape of the sail and behavior feels near 100%. Even more intrusive repairs involving cutting and stitching can affect a sail.

So I’d say tape first, if it doesn’t work out then seek other solutions 🙂

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  Manuel.

TOTD

Weight is only a consideration if the repair is large, if its that large my POV is replace the panel.
    Cost is relative , this is not something that you should need to purchase continuously .

X Ply is stronger than Mono unless the mono is so thick, then guess what It’s heavy.

The Gorilla tape I feel will be a good economical alternative, both strength and price.

TOTD

their is more than 1 way to bake a cake.

Manuel

Yeah for sure!
    I meant heavy as in design heavy. In terms of cost, some tapes are quite expensive especially considering their length.
    For wave sails, I try to repair minor tears, until a couple of panels blow out.
    Then, figure out whether to replace panels or the whole sail itself!
    Sucks when the blow-out happens mid-life, basically when the cost of the repair is near what they are currently worth with no repairs!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.