fbpx Windsurf MagazineNew vid, how to repair a windsurfing sail with x-ply | Windsurf Magazine

We use cookies to improve your experience. To find out more or disable the cookies on your browser click here.

AVAILABLE ON

New vid, how to repair a windsurfing sail with x-ply

Home Forums Windsurf Forums General Windsurf Chat New vid, how to repair a windsurfing sail with x-ply

This topic contains 24 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Manuel 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

TOTD
    Replies: 139
    Topics: 4

The test : all tapes are intact.Daily dose of water, snow, cold wind .

Real test would be let my dogs have it

Sailrepair1
    Replies: 11
    Topics: 1

Like TOTD says it is good that you are trying to help people and good that you are interested in fixing your sails. I started to watch the video and you start off by trying to get the sail to lie flat. It should not be able to lie flat because of the shape in the seams. This is especially the case with a ezzy sail. The shape built into the batten pockets which form the seams on a ezzy sail make the material 3D and it will never and should not lie flat. Take the battens out of any sail and try to get it to lie flat. It might up near the head because there is no shape there but down below the boom there will always appear to be lose material. This is what gives the sail its shape.

But the edges of the tear together to maintain the sails shape. If the material has stretched on impact it is likely to only be stretched in a small area but most of the tear should be butted up.

I hope that helps.

maker
    Replies: 34

I used silver Gorilla tape, and lasts years. I removed some old tape recently and glue was a bit gooey though was still holding sail together. Was monofilm rather than X-Ply.

Manuel
    Replies: 25
    Topics: 7

Gorilla products are pretty nice!

Sailrepair1, how would you suggest repairing the sail without laying it flat? To me, it’s the best way to get the material as neutral and original as possible. I understand the xply material is shaped from the battens and stitching but it’s not curved in an asymmetrical way, it’s still symmetrical when laying flat unless someone poked a knee, elbow, bum, or board nose through it 😀 !

The xply probably may have stretched some before tearing see photos below (note that I should have included the video causing the tear 😀 !!!)

http://windsurfing.lepicture.com/img/blog/sail-damage/GP010718-mousse(2).jpg

http://windsurfing.lepicture.com/img/blog/sail-damage/GP010718-mousse(2).2.jpg

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  Manuel.

Sailrepair1
    Replies: 11
    Topics: 1

Hi Manuel. What is mean is you want the repair to match the way the old material lies. True you can press it flat between the battens normally. You have to be careful if you are trying to repair a rip that hat hit a batten pocket then ran along next to the batten pocket. If you flatten it you will be taking the shape out of the sail.

TOTD

Test tapes/ sail is 100% intact still.

TOTD

Sail test tapes all intact, also testing square edges vs rounded

Manuel

sailrepair, thanks for clarifying! Any tear affecting original shape will be hard to fix even with professional help.
    It’s a bit true from most things actually 🙂 !

Been using the tape a bit more throughout (like near the luff where it crinkles when loosening tension). Quite happy.
    I had a few more sessions with strong washing cycles causing more sail damage, the repaired area is still the same as pictured at the end of the video.

TOTD

Another 6 weeks of tape test. No decernable diff between a square patch VS a rounded corners

All tapes are intact and show no degrading

Manuel

Repair identical after many more sessions, even broke a tendon with improper timing inside a closeout! Still strong tension below repair, I’m impressed!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.