fbpx Windsurf MagazineOld Masts and Sails (late 1990's)? | Windsurf Magazine

We use cookies to improve your experience. To find out more or disable the cookies on your browser click here.

AVAILABLE ON

Old Masts and Sails (late 1990's)?

Home Forums Windsurf Forums General Windsurf Chat Old Masts and Sails (late 1990's)?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

rod1e1
    Replies: 2
    Topics: 1

Hi, I am not a wind surfer and am too old and fat to start but I want to modify a 6m Canadian style canoe with an outrigger and sail.
    I have been given a couple of windsurfer sails and am trying to source some information about rigging them and masts etc.
    One is a Niel Pryde 9.6 VX Lightrace and the other is a Sailworks Bravo 6.9
    First thing I am looking for are suitable masts…

The Niel Pryde sail bag has some text printed on the end:
    Niel Pryde 9.6 VX Lightrace
    CK 95 Mast 520 imcs 30
    Boom 2500-25440
    Luff 5420-5440

I guess this means a 5.2m long mast and a 2.5m boom and the 9.6 is square metres?
    They rest I do not understand CK95? ICMS 30? Luff?

The SailWorks bag has:
    SailWorks Bravo 6.9
    Mast ICMS 27-29
    Boom 188
    Luff 486

??

I have been given a 4.0m Carbon Fibre mast and an extension but it is way to short, even with the extension for the smaller sail.
    I’m not sure how the extension works as it is just a Carbon Fibre tube, but it does not have any stop or collar for the base of the mast?
    No holes or pin?
    Any thoughts on a fabricating 120cm extension for the base of the mast?

The sails seem really big compared to what seems to be current nowadays?
    Can anyone help or advise please.
    Thanks Rod in Finland

bottomturnbob
    Replies: 126
    Topics: 3

Hi.

Those sails would need a 5.20 mast and a 4.60 mast respectively.

masts tend to come in these gaps:- 4m, 4.3m, 4.6m, 4.9m, 5.2m There are 2 masts widths Standard SDM and Reduced Diameter RDM. At these lengths the saisl will be built for SDM and if a mast doesnt say it is likely SDM. The IMCS is a stiffness rating and you can ignore. The Boom length on the bigger sail at 2.5m is very big and there are not many of that size around.
    Extensions are typically around 30 – 45cm.

These are fairly large and hi tec sails for your purposes, they need to be rigged well or they will look and work badly (making a long extension will make them difficult to rig). An older simpler sail (less battens) might be easyer to live with.

How are you going to fix your mast in an upright position? A smaller sail on a shorter mast would have less leverage and put less stress on this joint.

rod1e1

OK, thank you Bob… That has helped loads.

Was thinking of modifying a sailboard mast base and I have the gigantic boom.
    Yes, you may be right…. It would be simpler make up a conventional sail and mast etc. (these ones just look so cool :o))

Do you think anyone would be interested in these sails and mast? Or are they just too out of date?
    Everything is in perfect nick.
    The mast is an Excel Pro GX 100 Evolution ¤m long and IMCS 19 (made in Finland)

Thanks for your time
    Rod

Sailrepair1
    Replies: 11

fixing the sail is one thing, but have you thought through how you are going to stop the canoe tipping over and a dagger board?

I have made sails for canoes but they have been nothing like a windsurf sail. They are small “assist” sails to make going downwind easier. They are only about 1 to 1.5 sq meters and they have a small mast and a similar length boom. By pulling a rope the sail collapses down so as not to be a problem if you want to paddle into the wind. A few guys here use them for touring. At first they brought me a commercially available sail to copy, then someone else wanted one the same.

They sort of looked like this – http://www.inspiringadventure.com/files/2114/6373/7602/canoe_sailing.jpg although I can’t remember exactly.

rod1e1

Thanks for the reply…

Yes was thinking of an out rigger to stop it going over and maybe a leeboard?
    Was wondering if a giant steering paddle would do instead of a leeboard.
    I’m thinking along the lines of an actual sailing canoe rather than a sail assisted canoe for touring.
    What I have is a wooden strip built hull of a canoe that was never finished. Just a simple wooden hull, no rub rail, breasthooks, etc.etc.
    It’s got a fibre glass sheath over the hull and a carbon fibre kind of grid set into the wood.
    I will add frames, floors etc to reinforce it first and then work on the outrigger and mast and rigging.
    My one puzzle with these sails is how to collapse them in an emergency…
    Thanks for your input
    rod

Anonymous
    Replies: 3
    Topics: 0

Do you think anyone would be interested in these sails and mast? Or are they just too out of date?
    Everything is in perfect nick.
    The mast is an Excel Pro GX 100 Evolution ¤m long and IMCS 19 (made in Finland)
    الفيتامينات الوريدية في دبي

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.