fbpx Windsurf MagazineWindsurf Around Europe - Jono Dunnet | Windsurf Magazine

We use cookies to improve your experience. To find out more or disable the cookies on your browser click here.

AVAILABLE ON

Windsurf Around Europe – Jono Dunnet

Home Forums Windsurf Forums General Windsurf Chat Windsurf Around Europe – Jono Dunnet

This topic contains 48 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  waxhamMk2 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author

Navegante
    Replies: 75
    Topics: 3

Not a chance! With the summer breezes he’ll be lucky to cover 20 miles.
    I was sailing with him yesterday very very light breeze we covered 12 closed hauled tacking miles before the wind dropped and the current wasn’t helping.
    There are 230 nm to the border with Italy. It is a tedious slow programme because in this section of coast it’s light or more than you want but not some comfortable way in between.
    He may advance better in the second half of the week.

bottomturnbob
    Replies: 125

I thought you might link up with him. Say hello from the forum if you see him again.

Navegante

Will likely stop at our place when he makes it near Cannes. Unlikely I’ll be there but everything is organized and ready for his stay.
    Will send regards from Our “new” forum

TwoFish
    Replies: 47
    Topics: 7

[Post moved here after accidentally having started a duplicate thread]

I notice Jono is on the move again, heading down the heel of the Italian boot. His route plan suggests that, once round the heel, he intends to cut across the Adriatic rather than track back up Italy and then down Croatia and sundry other Eurovision countries. I’m curious though as to whether he will attempt the shortest crossing to Albania or if he might aim for Corfu (or one of the ‘Corfu-lets’). Any thoughts? Also (geography lesson time), anyone know which of the various Adriatic winds is powering down from the NW there at the moment?

Navegante

Wind Maestrale
    He plans to cross to Albania(larger target) from near Otranto. Alternatively to Othonoi and then to Corfu.

BillG
    Replies: 58
    Topics: 44

47 miles as the crow flies. Scary!

bottomturnbob
    Replies: 125

I did wonder if he might try this. Very tough even on a good day (averaging 5 miles an hour true speed for 10 hours straight and assuming a straight course!) – i guess its all down to picking a good day.

I wondered if he had a contingency plan to sleep on his board if it got dark? You could take some sort of inflatable with you! Or do you go through the night with lights?

Also when I looked at the tracker today there is a weird round thing. Must be this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nard%C3%B2_Ring

TwoFish
    Replies: 47
    Topics: 7
    BillG wrote:
    47 miles as the crow flies. Scary!

Almost the same distance as his Irish Sea crossing from Pembrokeshire to Rosslare three years ago.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by  TwoFish.

Navegante

Crossing the Adriatic now.
    Tracker is set to posting positions each 15 minutes intervals to be able to give indication of any troubles that may happen en route and/or show the contingency redirect in the navigation plan.

PhilN
    Replies: 26
    Topics: 0

WTF, he is about 2-3 miles off the Albanian coast already!

PK1111
    Replies: 30
    Topics: 15

Yep, he stormed that.
    Looks like the landing in Albania is in a remote national park, so be really interesting to see where he got to, and the difference with Italy.

PhilN
    Replies: 26

Wonder what passport control was like.
    It looks a nice spot, gets 4.9 on google reviews

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  PhilN.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Navegante

Albania is a country that just recently started opening up to tourism. All that area is very undeveloped.
    The place where he landed has a beach bar where he had a lunch, it is reachable by sea.
    Just about two miles north the whole of the coast has a restricted anchorage and fishing area as it is a former sea mines field.
    At the moment winds are too violent to go out as they accelerate down the slopes of the mountains at the back in a williwaw fashion
    coming from the northern side of the Mountain range.
    He will clear in in the next available town most likely.

K-215
    Replies: 36

I hope there is a nice Immigration man with a big rubber stamp…who cannot spell !

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  K-215.
    Attachments:

MartinJ
    Replies: 10

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.