fbpx Windsurf MagazineWindsurf Around Europe - Jono Dunnet | Windsurf Magazine

We use cookies to improve your experience. To find out more or disable the cookies on your browser click here.

AVAILABLE ON

Windsurf Around Europe – Jono Dunnet

Home Forums Windsurf Forums General Windsurf Chat Windsurf Around Europe – Jono Dunnet

This topic contains 48 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  waxhamMk2 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author

MartinJ
    Replies: 10
    Topics: 0

http://windsurfroundeurope.eu/tracker

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

bottomturnbob
    Replies: 125
    Topics: 3

Nice work!

TwoFish
    Replies: 47
    Topics: 7

And the geography lesson continues. I hadn’t realised just how close Corfu was to Albania (3/4 mile), which it seems made it an escape route back in the days when Albania was under Corbynist rule:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/swimming-to-corfu-on-the-coast-of-albania-under-hoxhas-heel-dimitris-greek-community-knew-hunger-and-1412420.html

rod
    Replies: 53

Twofish you’ve got all the wrong way round. My Family and Other Animals is a (not so) subtle revision of Animal Farm, Durrell just never wrote the epilogue, when they all escape to Albania.

BillG
    Replies: 58
    Topics: 44

I see Jono has gone in to Vassiliki. Obviously fancies a flat water blast, a bit of free style and a party!

Radialhead
    Replies: 53

He’s gone to Ocean Elements rather than Club Vass so maybe a bit less of a party 😉

PhilN
    Replies: 26

Well he is around the bottom of Greece and heading northwards. I think the prevailing winds in that area are NE so the next leg could be a bit of an upwind slog. Looking in the windfinder statistics the Black Sea is more variable in direction, but windy.com says NE for the next 10 days.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

ofuts
    Replies: 39
    Topics: 6

Wow thats insane!!!

Eagean see S-SW winds appear usually early winter season but they appear once or twice, last one or two days and with very strong gusts. Mostly nice N-NE winds.

Wish him luck and hope to see him when he arrives.

TwoFish

Jono appears to have landed at Mount Athos. That should be an interesting spot to visit.

TwoFish

I see he’s on the move again today, now about 90 crow miles from Turkey. Let’s hope the Turks are as welcoming as the Greeks are reported to have been. Meanwhile the Russians seem to be hotting things up in the Sea of Azov, transit through which would be required to get to one of the possible finish points marked on Jono’s site.

ofuts
    Replies: 39
    Topics: 6

Unfortunately windsurfing is not a popular sport in Turkey so there may be only a few aware he is coming, and they will be in Istanbul or south mostly. Anyway, hopefully he will pass through all cities in Europe side of Turkey, whose people are known to be (except Istanbul) very friendly fun European style and alcoholic 🙂 I am sure he will be welcomed there. He will have less options of docks or touristic areas so it will be more difficult for him than Greece in terms of accommodation.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  ofuts.

waxhamMk2
    Replies: 11
    Topics: 5

Seems like Mr Dunnet has been on that board for years. I can’t wait for the (hopefully) new book as I constantly refer to his excellent first book “Long Standing Ambition” when I’m on a coast of he’s seen the back of. He’s as fit as a fiddle but he has shish kebab an baklava to come! What a ride, What a dude!

waxhamMk2
    Replies: 11
    Topics: 5

The great man hit 22knots off the fin which with a life strapped on the board is some feat. The views an horizons reeled it are something else, Google satelite gives a idea but not the awesom mindset.

TwoFish

I see he’s now in Turkey. Must resist seasonal pun.

And assuming he turns right / east on exiting the Bospohorus, that’s Europe ticked off the list then.

japetus
    Replies: 1

Let’s all hope he cleared with Turkish customs controls without any issues.
    Jono was determined to enter Turkey from a spot where it is not an official entry point and given the fact that the area is quite heavily guarded, he might have experienced unexpected bureaucratic issues with the authorities.. As he hasn’t updated his blog since he left Greece two days ago, we’ll all have to wait until he reports back..

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.