fbpx Windsurf MagazineWindsurfers Elbow. | Windsurf Magazine

We use cookies to improve your experience. To find out more or disable the cookies on your browser click here.

AVAILABLE ON

Windsurfers Elbow.

Home Forums Windsurf Forums General Windsurf Chat Windsurfers Elbow.

This topic contains 27 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  theelix1 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

ronnie
    Replies: 1138
    Topics: 37

I seem to have developed windsurfers elbow. I had a small spot about 1cm dia. at the surface area of my left forearm near the elbow, which had been causing me occasional pain over the last couple of weeks. A couple of paddleboarding sessions made it sore but didn’t make it become worse. I windsurfed today with a 5.3m powered up on my wave board and now have a painful area on the outside from the elbow to halfway along the forearm.

I had switched to Gaastra adjustable harness lines a few months ago, and today noticed that they were slipping and becoming longer when sailing. I don’t know if that was a factor. I tied a sort of knot in them and kept sailing. I bought them because adjustment seems useful for foiling. I will switch back to fixed Gaastra harness lines and swap them around if I need a different length. I’ll be trying some of this to help heal the area. I’m 70 now, so that may be a factor.

Manuel
    Replies: 25
    Topics: 7

Did you try any of the tricks in the health section of my FAQ? http://windsurfing.lepicture.com/tips-and-tricks/#section-faq

Very important to have the correct harness lines. Had the same problem with adjustable lines with knots. The Dakine one with the strap is good (but wobbly).

I had both golfer’s and tennis at various stages. So many factors conditions, board, rig, etc. It’s nice if you can “listen” to your arms when sailing. Look when you are bending them. Try keeping your arms straight when out of the harness and only look for power when hooked in.

Be sure to have enough downhaul to bleed excess wind and have a nice, light and responsive sail.

Until then, ice packs, massage the muscles around the area both sides of the forearm and biceps.
    For golfer’s elbow, the FlexBar listed on my site is nice too because it can stretch tensed muscles in a way that’s otherwise difficult to achieve.

What is your most used sail/mast and board? What conditions/type of sailing?

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by  Manuel.

ronnie

I hadn’t read your section Manuel (I have now), but have already ordered the TheraBand bar in Red. Tennis elbow is a new problem to me – never had it before after 30+ years windsurfing. I’ve used ibuprofen gel a few times on it, and it is reducing.
    I keep in mind to use the harness lines when sailing, and set up to reduce the work my arms have to do. Nearly all freeride now, but rarely with the same gear twice in a few months. I haven’t been foiling for several weeks now, because suitable conditions haven’t been consistent for long enough – wind has often been ramping up or down.

Now I’ve had this problem (assuming that is what it is), I’ll avoid sailing on if it starts again. I have 2 sizes of Gaastra fixed lines which I will use from now on and see if that helps avoid it.

One thing I changed paddleboarding recently was to paddle with my top hand further over (right in front of the other shoulder), to keep the board going more straight. It’s a smallish board 7’2″ by 28″ 103 litres. That might also be a possible factor.

TOTD
    Replies: 139
    Topics: 4

Ronnie, you may find something that helps some. Excerise routine or drugs, homeopathy, rest…

I think at 70yo , we can expect these things

TOTD

Overuse will escalate symptoms

Manuel

It must hurt at night, often in your sleep (wakes you up). On the water it can go unnoticed which makes it difficult to pinpoint.
    Ultimately, it should hurt on the water some. Then, you’ll know what is causing it!
    I do believe tendinitis comes when muscles are under tension for longer periods without releasing.
    Are you often in and out of the plane? Is the water state smooth or bumpy? Are you comfortably powered?
    Anything hurting the plane will require hand adjustment.
    How often do you sail and for how long?

ronnie

I’ve only had this once, so it’s still an open question as to what it is. It seems to be recovering reasonably well so far, and the Theraband has now arrived, so I will try the exercises with that.

The one thing about conditions here is that they are unpredictable. Winds tend to be variable at this time of year and the water state is usually not smooth.
    When I actually got the pain in my arm on Thursday, the water was small wind driven waves criss-crossing a bit, but I felt comfortable in terms of the sailing. The only issue I had was that I initially went out with the sail set for maximum low end power on the 112 Gecko and the wind decided to ramp up, so I was overpowered and had to use my arms to sail it downwind out of the straps on the way back in. Once I down hauled and flattened the 5.3m Manic sail for the Mistral Beast 86 wave board everything felt OK apart from discovering the adjustable harness lines had been slipping and my left forearm was a bit painful. I sort of tied the end of the adjusting strap in a knot and sailed on and enjoyed the rest of the sailing – apart from the pain in my left forearm.

I think now, the small spot that has been painful on the skin has nothing to do with the pain that developed in my forearm.

Manuel

It may not be tendinitis. For my Golfer’s, the bone inside my arm was really sore. I thought I had hit it on something at first.
    Your problem does sound like it comes from harness lines.

Along with the stretching and massaging, I stopped drinking alcohol (completely), often grate curcumin or ginger in some water, heat it up and drink it as a tea. Ice was the best remedy it seemed though, I wish I had done it earlier!

Radialhead
    Replies: 53
    Topics: 0

I get both tennis & golfer’s elbow from too much mouse use. I tried Therabars but they didn’t work for me. What does work is cross friction massage for the tennis elbow, & stretching for both. Holding my arm out straight & bending my hand back as far as it’ll go by pushing on a wall & holding it there for 30 seconds really helps. Do that a few times then repeat but bending is the other way. I can bend my left wrist back to 90 degrees without using anything to push it, but my right won’t go back past around 60 degrees, so it’s clear my muscles/tendons have shortened in that arm after 30 years of wiggling a mouse for 9 hours a day.

Can’t believe TOTD recommended homeopathy…. it’s the 21st century not the 15th.

TOTD

Of course use real drugs, not something like acupuncture or Arnica.

Distinctly Average
    Replies: 36
    Topics: 2

I’ve a mate who makes an absolute fortune selling water Homeopathic remedies as medicine. Like estate agents, lawyers, accountants etc I don’t know how he can sleep at night.

Radialhead

TOTD, this lot are deleting my posts about the other subject so you’ll have to find the place another way I’m afraid.

Distinctly Average
    Replies: 36
    Topics: 2

Deleting posts?

Radialhead

Yep. I posted about another forum & they deleted the link & then deleted the whole thread.

TOTD

Wow, not very friendly.
    Can you type the name of it, rather than a link ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.