fbpx Windsurf MagazineWindsurfers Elbow. | Windsurf Magazine

We use cookies to improve your experience. To find out more or disable the cookies on your browser click here.

AVAILABLE ON

Windsurfers Elbow.

Home Forums Windsurf Forums General Windsurf Chat Windsurfers Elbow.

This topic contains 27 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 11 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

TOTD
    Replies: 139
    Topics: 4

Distinctly average: some people have made a fortune selling water, that’s just water.

Radialhead
    Replies: 53
    Topics: 0

TOTD: Check your Boards PM.

ronnie
    Replies: 1175
    Topics: 37

The doctor says it is a tennis elbow type injury, but because I don’t have a history of it and it seems to be getting better quite well and quite quickly, I may be able to recover soon and with regular exercises to stretch the tendons and muscles, and avoiding repetitive strain situations, I can reduce the likelihood of a recurrence.
    I’ll stay off the water, do some exercising in the gym while letting it heal and then check in the gym by gradually increasing the workload to see if it is ready to windsurf again. I’ll rearrange any movements that might be causing RSI.

Manuel
    Replies: 26
    Topics: 8

ICE!!!! I never stopped windsurfing. I think that if you are not having miserable nights or extreme pain where you cannot hold heavy objects then you should be able to keep sailing. Not sailing will get you out sailing shape too so more strain when you get back into it. Maybe you can shorten your sessions, allow more time between sessions, be pickier. Unless you are in a lot of pain I’d consider maintain some level of windsurfing activity.

Ice after each session and before bedtime and whenever you feel like! The most important thing is to watch out when on the water and correct any move stressing out those arms, slippery boom grip, boom head, harness lines adjustment. Straighten your arm when seeking power only sheeting in with harness or if easy. No clenching.

Do listen to your body though. We each have different tolerance to pain and discomfort. Mine is very low 😀 !

Markski
    Replies: 3

I have had symptoms of windsurfers elbow in the past and it did eventually go away, and then it came back this year while on a 2 week trip to vass.

My wife had some stuff called workout wonder from a trendy ‘health/fitness’ company called mio with her, and applied some to my tender spot.

It really gave instant pain relief, like a very intense deep heat or menthol type feeling. The symptoms didn’t come back as bad, I hardly noticed it for the rest of the trip. Obviously, I rested it when I got home.

ronnie

2 weeks since it started. I had to lift large heavy objects on the first 3 days after it started and a few days after that, cut and shaped a thick ergonomic wooden laptop board to reduce RSI potential. I used Ibuprofen gel on 3 or 4 occasions over the 2 weeks. Otherwise I’ve been trying to go easy on loading and using the forearm. I’m doing occasional light flexing and stretching of the tendons involved.

I once had a ligament problem from windsurfing with 2 ligaments connected to my right thumb. I tried to let them heal for a few weeks without medicine without success. I then saw a doctor who recommended using Ibuprofen and using that led to it healing in about a week.
    So I’m going to start using Ibuprofen gel on a regular basis, as although there has been improvement, it has been slow.

Once I think it will be OK to start rowing in the gym, I’ll start building that up and when I can do that at a good level without relapse, I’ll start windsurfing again.

That’s the current plan.

ronnie

An update: After 2 weeks using ibuprofen gel. It has improved over the last 2 weeks, but only slightly. I have tried to avoid doing anything heavy with it, but did do a bit of reworking of the inside of the van and received a couple of new boards (after shipping 3 boards out in the previous 2 weeks. That work was heavy enough to maybe strain it and make it worse, but it never got much worse and it seemed to settle back to roughly where it was in terms of discomfort. I’ll stop the ibuprofen gel for now and concentrate on light stretching exercises to see if that speeds the recovery up.

I’ve got a JP 105 Foil board now, but have a bit more time to heal before I get the foil I want to use with it (the Glide Wind large).

ronnie

A whole bunch of windfoil videos from the Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcVLjJ2MjRQa-piIFTh8qrw/videos

ronnie

deleted

Manuel

How often you apply ice and when? How much massaging and light stretching of the surrounding muscles?

ronnie

I don’t apply ice. I don’t massage the muscles, but do massage in the tendon areas.

I’m following a sheet of exercises that my doctor gave me for Tennis Elbow. It consists of light stretching and twisting exercises that I do for 5 minutes 3 times a day.

The injury does not feel like it is muscular. The pain comes from the tendon areas. It is slowly improving, but from what I have read, tendons can take a while to heal.

Manuel

Well then better get started 😀 !!!!

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tendinopathy
    “Ice, compression and elevation are also frequently recommended.”

As soon as you start ice treatment, you’ll feel vast improvement.
    Massaging muscles leading to the tendon release tension, also big improvement.
    These are the two main things from my research on the subject and personal experience.

I’m not sure why it took me so long to use ice packs. They are wonderful.
    Athletes resort to cryotherapy a lot.

Anonymous
    Replies: 3

Hi, I am new user on this.

iv vitamin infusion 

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.