RRD tell us about their first full power PWA race winning sail.. 100% race ready and tuned for winning at the highest level. A wide sleeve, carbon battens, deep profile and performance that will blow you away. The X-WING MK1 offers both blistering speeds and power, whilst remaining light in the hands and easy to use. It is not for the faint hearted, but go with it and anything is possible.
With the heritage left behind from the Firewing, we still focused on making things easy and the X-WING MK1 offers both blistering speeds and power, whilst remaining light in the hands and easy to use. It is not for the faint hearted, but go with it and anything is possible.
John Skye about the X-WING MK1
“A crazy amount of work has gone into this sail with hours of testing, refining and more testing helping to produce a sail that not only offers the performance needed to win races, but also remains incredibly confortable to use. We focused on every detail possible to make sure that every sail that comes out the factory is race tuned and ready. Featuring a completely new luff curve, a new widened luff sleeve, a new batten configuration, new shaping throughout… the list goes on and no details were left untouched. Next year promises to be something special!”.
A Deeper draft profile increases the power and stability plus improve the cam rotation and we have achieved a more connected leech twist thanks to a completely new luff curve as well as adjustments to the shaping in the front. Thanks to the improved stability and control we’re able to reduce the number of battens in the larger sizes from 8 to 7. This reduces the weight and also improves the pumping and low-end performance.
The new X-WING has 3 eyelet positions all with similar boom lengths to ride the sail more neutral or more lifty, depending on your style and set up.
The X-WING is a sail that works more smoothly and efficiently across the full wind range.
- Triple Power Clew –With 3 eyelet positions, all with similar boom lengths, we give options to ride the sail more neutral or more lifty, depending on your style and set up.
- Refined Leech Twist –With a modified luff curve as well as adjustments to the shaping in the front, we created a sail that works more smoothly and efficiently across the full wind range.
- Deeper Draft Profile –3 main benefits. 1- increased power and stability. 2- Increased downforce on the board, which allowed us to open up the head of the sail for a faster release. 3- By increasing the shape in the foot area more naturally, we could reduce the need to ‘force’ the shape with cam pressure. This massively improved the rotation of the sail giving better exit speed out of the gybes.
- 100% carbon tube on battens 4 and 5, to lock the draft forward and give maximum top end speed.
- Glass tube rod batten 6 for the perfect mix of control and acceleration in the main power generating area of the sail body.
- Reduced number of battens in the larger sizes from 8 to 7. This reduces the weight and also improves the pumping and low-end performance
- Straight section luff sleeve – By utilizing straight sections on the luff sleeve, we improved the accuracy during the manufacturing process and help guarantee that the sail we test and put into production is exactly the same sail that you have in your hands.
Cyril Moussilmani F-71rides the X-WING MK1
Cyril Moussilmani will compete with RRD SAILS during the 2019 racing season. It’s the first time in the RRD history that a top level slalom racer is fully equipped with RRD products. He participated, together with John Skye, in the development of the new X-WING MK1, pure performance race sail.